Thursday, November 17, 2005

Solaris and Postgres - Never would have imagined it.

So today Sun announced the support for Postgres database - an opensourced database distributed with RH linux, on its' Solaris10 operating system. And once again I have a story to tell. In my first job Postgres was the only database I worked with. It was on Solaris 2.6. Everybody else in my laboratory (Yes thats right) was playing with SQLserver, Access and screaming to get Oracle installed and I was happy with Postgres. Reason? It was free. It was good. and the concept of objects it has built in, and it was just v6.5 then. On the other hand Solaris has always been my favorite OS - no I am not a Solaris guru but have grown up around it. It is a good feeling to see these two of my favorites coming closer.

No comments: